Friday, December 28, 2007

We Are What We Are. And fuck you if you can't see past that.

I apologize for the massive delay in correspondence, in posting. I have a myspace blog that I have been using to the detriment of this magnificent specimen here. I believe I owe myself and this blog more attention.

Henry Rollins
, when he was a member of Black Flag and they were touring in Europe, broke-ass and cold and starving the entire way... remarked how the American is unconscious of his nationality until he leaves the country. You're only an American once you step outside of the United States. In a sense, I believe him... and in a sense, I can understand his sentiment perfectly.

The United States of America's government is not well-liked across the world, for very, very good reasons. I understand why they aren't well liked. I don't like them either. I don't believe what they're doing right now (or twenty years ago, or for it's entire existence, for that matter) is right.

But I object to being equated with them. I object to anyone who is just another human being trying to get by being equated with the more vile parts of his culture, nationality, religion, or government.

I, as an American, became more conscious of my nationality-by-birth when I left the country a little over a year ago. I didn't experience any of the hate purported to exist. My hosts were just human beings like me. Kind, courteous, and overall generous. I am honored to have known the few I made acquaintances with.

But that tendency for people to lump me as an individual American with the despotic acts of my government is despicable. It's as despicable for me writing you off as an Iraqi, Turk, Iranian in a contemptuous manner because I'm not willing to look beyond the veil put up by both of our governments.

I will clarify something. I am an American. I may not be proud of being an American. But I am what I am. By birth and by culture. I can't erase years of that kind of building material. Don't ask me to. Don't ridicule me for being what I am. Ridicule my government; I don't care. Just don't fuck with me if you have that in mind. You're shit doesn't stink any less than mine, motherfucker.

This is not addressed to "you." Honestly, I don't know who this is addressed to. But someone out there falls under the above category. In that case, then this message is for YOU.

No comments: